COVID-19 UPDATE 07 AUGUST 2020
Medical examinations have now recommenced in accordance with the easing of lockdown restrictions. I am pleased to be able to advise that I am now able to undertake Classes 1, 2 and 3 medicals.
UK MEDICAL EXEMPTIONS
The UK CAA have published exemptions for UK medical / licence holders. If you wish to avail of the UK medical certificate exemptions, please ensure you read the following information. The latest medical exemption is ORS4 No 1408 which can be found here
This exemption applies to all classes of medical certificate as follows –
If your medical certificate expires on or after 16 March 2020, but before 31 August 2020, it may be extended until 22 November 2020.
If your medical certificate expires on or after 1 September 2020, but before 22 November 2020, it may be extended for a maximum of 45 days but no later than 31 December 2020, whichever is the sooner.
In order to avail of these extension, ALL the following conditions must be met;
- Medical certificate holders who are under additional medical surveillance (e.g. by their AME or the CAA) should continue to comply with the specified requirements (e.g. provision of reports) imposed by their AME or the CAA. Failure to do so may invalidate their medical certificate and/or the applicability of this exemption. If difficulties arise the certificate holder should contact their AME who may need to be advised by the CAA
- To demonstrate compliance with Part MED aircrew and ATCOs should carry their (expired) medical certificate and a copy of the exemption notice as part of their licence
- You must not have experienced any reduction in medical fitness – if this is the case you cannot use the exemption and will require a medical examination.
Please also note the following.
- If you meet ALL of the criteria contained in the exemption, simply print off a copy and keep it with your (expired) medical certificate in your licence. You do not need to apply for an extension or contact the CAA/AME
- Please contact me for advice if the additional surveillance clause applies to you; I will be able to advise what is required in conjunction with the CAA medical department
- It is fully recognised that there may well be difficulties in obtaining specialist reports and investigations at this time; again, please contact me via email and I will be able to assist if you are experiencing any problems
- Please drop me an email if you wish to be contacted when I resume examinations, I will also update this webpage regularly
- Finally, please take a moment to download and read the exemption notice in full
Please note the above exemption is applicable to UK-issued medical certificate holders only. Other aviation authorities have also issued exemptions as follows;
The IAA exemption can be found here https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/aeronautical-notices/p—personnel-licensing/covid-19—extension-of-validity-and-other-time-periods-for-licence-ratings-certificates-for-iaa-licensed-or-certificated-flight-crew.pdf?sfvrsn=c8961cf3_8 and the declaration form can be downloaded here https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/forms/personnel-licensing-forms/covid-19/rppl-f-dcv19d.pdf?sfvrsn=c4971cf3_3
The FAA exemption (dated 31/3) can be found at https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=94991
If you are at all unclear as to whether you meet the requirements for any exemption, please drop me an email and I will be happy to advise and assist. In the meantime, I will of course remain available for any queries and casework, including reports of fit and unfit status. Please contact me by email (either via the website contact form or my usual email address) and I will reply as soon as possible.