Bristol Aviation Medicals Ltd is committed to providing a safe, comfortable environment where patients can be confident that best practice is being followed at all times and that the safety of everyone is paramount.
All patients will be treated as individuals and have their dignity and privacy respected at all times in accordance with the current guidelines issued by the General Medical Council.
All patients are entitled to have a chaperone present for any consultation, examination or procedure where they feel one is required.
The chaperone will be a suitably qualified individual acceptable to both the examining doctor and patient.
A relative or friend of the patient is not an impartial observer and so would not usually be a suitable chaperone, but we are happy to comply with a reasonable request to have such a person present as well as a chaperone if the patient wishes it.
Chaperone’s roles – The chaperone will in all cases;
- Be sensitive and respect the patient’s dignity, privacy and confidentiality
- Reassure the patient if they show signs of distress or discomfort
- Be familiar with the procedures involved in a routine intimate examination
- Stay for the whole examination if required
- Be able to see what the doctor is doing, if practical, at all times
- Be prepared to raise concerns if they are concerned about the doctor’s behaviour or actions at any time
Procedure for requesting a chaperone
- All patients will be able to read our chaperone policy on the website at the time of booking their appointment.
- Before your appointment, please download and complete the Consent Form. You must answer YES or NO to the “chaperone required” question on the consent form provided prior to your medical examination.
Chaperone not available
In the event that a suitable chaperone is not available at the time of your appointment, and either you, or the examining doctor, do not want the examination to go ahead without a chaperone present, your medical may need to be postponed to a later date when a suitable chaperone will be present.
Concerns or Queries
Please address any concerns, queries or comments regarding this Chaperone Policy to:
Dr Helen Hoar, Bristol Aviation Medicals Ltd, Belvedere House, Silver Zone, Bristol Airport, Bristol, BS48 3DP or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org